There is a ton on your mind when you’re getting ready to sell your house. Between the vision of boxes everywhere and finding a new place to call home, some things might slip through the cracks. Here are 5 things you need to do before you put your house up for sale!
- Declutter and stage – The first time a potential buyer will likely see your home is online. Make sure their digital first look is enticing. Get rid of clutter, specifically from your counter tops, kitchen, and living room. Those pictures you see from homes in magazines? Take note. Set the stage by organizing your rooms and adding a bit of décor.
- Have it inspected – Most people think this is the buyer’s responsibility, but you can gain a lot from an inspection. By having an inspector come in before you sell, you can budget some of the costs in your asking price and fix little things that you might not have known about.
- Fix your landscaping – Curb appeal. It’s real. Make sure your grass is mowed, weeds are pulled, and kids’ toys are put away. If it’s winter, make sure your driveway and sidewalk are shoveled. It’s important that your mailbox is straight and not dented, too!
- Get rid of personal touches – This might seem counterintuitive but potential buyers coming into your house want to be able to envision themselves there. If you have a family portrait in your office where they would hang their diploma, it makes them feel like they’re intruding in your space, not imagining themselves living there.
- Take pictures and exhale – You’ve made memories in your home. While you might be ready to move to a new place and start another chapter of your life, it’s important to live in the moment.
There’s a sixth, and very important step. Call Fidelity Bank & Trust! Our Loan Officers can help you find the right loan to get you into the home of your dreams. If you want to get the process started today, get a quote and check rates on our website.
Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.