During the holiday season, we are all guilty of running around busy and distracted. We’re so distracted that many times we don’t even notice when we are victimized by identity theft.
Last year, 15.4 million Americans were victims of identity theft and that number is expected to be even larger this year.
At Fidelity Bank & Trust, we want to guard you from fraud with these helpful tips.
Online and at Home
- Don’t click. Phishing attacks are on the rise. Don’t open strange emails or click links, even if it says it is from the government or your bank. Never respond to an email with personal info.
- Call back. If someone calls claiming to be from a charity, bank, creditor or the IRS, hang up and call back with a different number you looked up for yourself.
- Don’t overshare. Update social media privacy settings. Don’t reveal you are out of town.
- Collect packages. Thieves follow delivery trucks during the holidays, don’t leave your packages outside for an extended period of time.
- Shop trusted retailers. Be wary of too-good-to-be-true prices, it could be a fake online store.
We wish you a merry holiday season full of safe shopping for your loved ones. If you think you’ve been a victim of identity theft, please call Fidelity Bank & Trust immediately!